Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Ironman St. George 70.3 2013 Race Report - The First IMSG 70.3!

Here's another oldie.  This is my first Ironman 70.3 St. George race report.  This was the first Ironman 70.3 St. George, held in 2013.  I have done 2 more since then and will be racing it again this year.  My PR is 5:52, so I did eventually break 6 hours on this course.  My goal for 2015 is to break 5:45.  IMSG 70.3 is brutal but it is awesome.

Thursday
Coming into St. George on the night of May 2nd you could tell that the town was buzzing with the coming of Ironman.  There were electronic street signs everywhere alerting people of the traffic pattern changes and banners celebrating St. George Ironman 70.3 hung from almost every lamppost.  Stores had signs out welcoming the Ironman athletes.  The funny thing is that we were arriving at the city at 10:30 pm.  Even then the transformation of St. George for the Ironman 70.3 was evident.  My heart gave a little flutter as we drove into the city since that meant the event was ever closer to becoming a reality.  In a little more than a day I would be jumping into 600 water in a reservoir that at last year’s full Ironman had seen 40 mph wind gusts and horrendously large waves.  I kept thinking this was probably not the safest bet to start my 2013 triathlon season but nevertheless there I was.  Bring it on.
The family and I got to Marsha’s house and she greeted us with the enthusiasm that is typical of St. George residents who love their marquee sporting events.  Marsha had volunteered for the famous St. George marathon for 20 years and she had also been a volunteer at some of the past full Ironman triathlons.  She loves everything about the St. George endurance events and is very knowledgeable about the courses and the venues.  So when we got to her house she peppered us with questions about our plans for the weekend and my preparations for the race.  She had saved all the local newspaper stories about the Ironman and had them ready for us to read.  Marsha is definitely a big reason I love to come to St. George for endurance events.  She is the best host an athlete can hope for.  She has a wealth of information about the venues that you couldn’t really pay for and she’s so excited for you that you can bet she will be out there on the course to cheer you on come race day.  Marsha, thank you for your hospitality, you’re awesome! After we got settled in we had a very comfortable evening and I was even able to sleep in.  This felt especially great since I had a horrendous week at work where I was putting in 13-hour days. 
Friday
We got ready for the day very slowly and then took off to go to the expo.  I was very excited, not only because it’s exciting to go to any expo for a large race but because this was my first Ironman-branded race.  Not only that but this year’s Ironman St. George 70.3 also doubled as the Ironman 70.3 U.S. Championships and the field was full of the top athletes from all over the world.  So, I would for sure experience some celebrity sightings at the expo.
Since the race was sold out it was a bit difficult finding a parking spot but we eventually found one next to the T2 transition area.  We were blown away by the number of bike racks that were at T2.  I realized that about 2,700 athletes had registered but it was overwhelming to actually see what that looked like in bike racks.  We would be going to T1 at Sand Hollow reservoir later in the day and I got excited to see what that would look like with all the bikes racked.
We made our way around the St. George Tabernacle to the park where the expo was set up.  The first sign that this would be a very cool experience was that as soon as we got to the first booth Andy Potts was standing there talking to people.  Andy Potts is the premiere American long-course triathlete and the first American to finish the IM World Championship in Kona, Hawaii in 2012.  I started telling my kids “That’s Andy Potts!” at which point they made it clear that I needed to calm down and not embarrass them.  We then moved to the registration tent where I made a short line and literally signed my life away.  With the exception of the Boston Marathon this was the most organized registration process for a race that I have been a part of.  They definitely covered their bases.  They gave me my registration packet, my participant wrist band and then moved me to get my bag, shirt and timing chip.  The bag was a very nice draw string bag but the shirt was pretty crappy.  After checking the timing chip and receiving my transition bags you were forced to exit right into the Ironman store.  These people are definitely savvy about making money out of the M-Dot brand.  Jolynne and the kids were already in the store.  We were horrified at the prices of the merchandise at the store.  The participant shirts that I wished we had received were selling for $35!!!  For a t-shirt!  Needless to say I didn’t buy anything at the store but enjoyed checking everything out.  I needed a race belt because I forgot mine at home.  An IM race belt was $12.  I went over to the Inside Out Sports booth and found one for $7.  I bought the Inside Out Sports belt.
After that we hung around the expo, which was actually smaller than what I thought it would be.  I then saw Ben Hoffman, the 2012 IM St. George champion.  It was cool to see the pros hanging out like the rest of us.  A little bit later on we sat down and relaxed by a big and cool water fountain while we waited for the mandatory athlete meeting.  That meeting was interesting but I didn’t learn a lot of new information.  Later on we got lunch and the family dropped me off so I could hear a pro athlete panel.  I was able to hear comments and advice from Andy Potts, Sebastian Kienle (current IM 70.3 World Champion), Leanda Cave (current IM World Champion), Kelly Williamson, Ben Hoffman, Heather Wuertle, Meredith Kessler (2012 IM St. George champion), Jordan Rapp, and Andrew Starykowicsz.  This was definitely a highlight of the expo.  I was able to get autographs from Andy Potts and Meredith Kessler.  I also saw Craig Alexander (3-time IM World Champion) and Paula Newby-Fraser (8-time IM World Champion) in person.  Paula Newby-Fraser is essentially the Michael Jordan of the sport of Triathlon.
Jolynne and the kids picked me up and we went back to Marsha’s where the kids relaxed for a couple of hours while I got my bike and race bags ready for drop off at Sand Hollow.  We then dropped off the kids at the movies.  Interestingly enough they went to see Ironman 3.  We made our way out to Sand Hollow and when we got there the place was mobbed.  Sounds like everyone decided to show up at the same time.  We parked illegally (only option, sorry) and I took the bike out for a final spin and safety check.  Everything seemed to be working in perfect order and so I took my bike gear bag and my bike and made my way with Jolynne to the T1 area.  It was an impressive sight to see about 2,000 bikes and gear all ready for action.
My transition spot was in the middle of everything and it concerned me that I would have a hard time finding it coming out of the water.  Luckily my aisle ran right into a gap in the row of port-a-potties that was close to the lake.  So, coming out of the water I would just have to run to the gap, take a left and keep going until I ran into my bike.  After positioning myself I took a few pictures and made my way out of T1.
Jolynne and I then made our way to the swim exit.  Sand Hollow is a beautiful reservoir surrounded by red rock and sporting a big old red rock island right in the middle.  What surprised me the most was that it was so small.  In all the pictures I had seen it looked like the reservoir was huge but it is actually only 1,300 acres.  By comparison Lake Powell at the UT/AZ border is 162.6 thousand acres.  However, what it lacked in size it made up for in beauty.  The sand was red and cool and the big rock island in the middle makes a beautiful centerpiece for the landscape.  After seeing the exit and visualizing how that would be come race morning we made our way to the swim entry area and I took off my shoes and stepped into the water.  Holy cow that was cold!  My feet hurt and they started to go numb fairly quickly.  It definitely felt colder than Bear Lake and that was cold!  I then saw a young tiny woman swimming in her wetsuit so I concluded that if she can do it so can I, ‘nuff said.  But man was that cold.  The only saving grace was that the swim course actually didn’t look too daunting at all.  I crossed my fingers and hoped that we wouldn’t have a repeat of 2012 where 40MPH wind gusts showed up and made the swim horrendously difficult.
So, with a renewed respect for the challenge to come we got back in the car and made our way back to St. George.  We picked up the kids at the movies, picked up some pizza and wings and went back to Marsha’s.  The pizza and wings were awesome and hit the spot just right.  We conversed with Marsha and made some final preparations and I went to bed around 10:20pm.
Race Day
Woke up at 4:00 am, which is actually about 30 minutes later than when I had to wake up for the St. George Marathon so it felt a bit luxurious to be getting up that late.  I actually slept very well for it being the night before a huge race.  I very quietly put my kit on and got ready.  I went to the kitchen and ate a quick breakfast of a PB Bagel and some Powerade (which I drank throughout the morning).  I also had some applesauce at T1 when it was closer to race time.  I made a final check to make sure I had all my stuff and I woke up Jolynne.  We left at 4:30 am for T2 where I dropped off my run bag at my transition spot and then caught the bus up to Sand Hollow.  The temperature was actually a bit chilly but very comfortable.
The bus to T1 was like every other bus ride to the start of a marathon that I have done.  The ride felt very long and the bus is full of tension and anticipation.  Incredibly I sat next to a guy from Riverton (where I live) and we had nice conversation all the way to T1.  The poor guy was doing this 70.3 as his first Half Ironman and only his second triathlon.  I don’t think the poor guy really realized what he was in for.  The 70.3 distance is no joke.  I ended up laid out on a cot after my first 70.3 at Bear Lake last year.  The buzz about St. George is that it’s the one of the hardest if not THE hardest 70.3 in the U.S.  One look at the course tells you that one better be ready for pain.  This was the thought going through my head as we arrived at Sand Hollow reservoir.
We got to Sand Hollow sometime after 5:00 am and it was still dark so no views of the water.  Luckily it wasn’t too windy or too cold.  I started making my way into T1 and was marked by one of the awesome volunteers.  My number for the race was 1730.  It was very cool to go into the transition area and walk right by all the pros in attendance.  You would have thought it was a party the way those guys were joking around and laughing.  The rest of everybody else was either cold, on their way to the port-a-potties, or cowering in anticipation.  The place was completely abuzz with activity.  People making final setup of their transition areas, making final adjustments to their bikes, making sure tire pressure was good, eating breakfast, checking nutrition supplies to take on the bike, walking around and talking to others and lubing up with Body Glide and sun screen.  I have never been to a race start with more activity.  There is so much to check and so much that can go wrong in a race like this.
I actually saw quite a few people that I knew and it was fun to converse with people and work out the butterflies.  I made a pit stop at the port-a-potties, which didn’t take long since they were pretty well stocked.  After that I went to find Ian and David.  Ian is Marsha’s son-in-law and David is her son.  These guys had survived last year’s horrendous full IM.  I found them and they seemed to be in good spirits and ready to go.  I also saw Jake who is my buddy Mark’s older brother.  This would be his first 70.3 and he looked like he was good to go.
Sometime after 6:15 am they started telling people they needed to finish up and make their way out of T1.  I put my wetsuit on and put Body Glide on my neck hands and feet.  I also added Body Glide to the lower leg and arm sections of the suit so that it would come out easier.  I then made sure my bike bag had all my bike transition stuff in it and that my morning bag had all the stuff I didn’t need anymore (i.e. my jacket, my phone, etc.).  I only put my suit up to my waist since I wouldn’t be starting until 7:39 am.
As I was making my way out of T1 I ran into the Bullock family.  These guys used to be in our stake and I used to run with Ryan and his dad Dean.  It was kind of cool to talk to them because Dean is in the middle of a campaign to win an inspirational entry for the Ironman World Championships at Kona, Hawaii.  Dean was recently diagnosed with brain cancer and he has had major surgery.  The cancer is stage 4 so the current diagnosis is that the cancer will kill him.  However, Dean continues to train and he was looking pretty good and pretty prepared.  It was cool to see most of his kids there ready to race with him as they made their way to the swim start.
I handed in my morning bag and made my way to the swim start where the pro-men had just barely started.  At this point the lake looked beautiful and very calm.  The men were swimming at full throttle led by who else but Andy Potts, one of the best swimmers in the sport.  Experiencing that was definitely a neat experience that I will remember fondly.  The beauty of the surroundings, the awe of us spectators and the incredible display of human performance made for a memory that I will be hard pressed to forget.  It’s moments like these when I receive a confirmation of why I love endurance sports.  Big stakes endurance events like marathons and long-distance triathlons are like candy to my soul.
Shortly after the male pros the women pros got in the water.  This is when I finally realized that the start was a deep water start.  The women entered the water and they swam out to an area between two yellow buoys that constituted the start line.  I thought that was genius because the swim out to the start line and the wait prior to the start of my wave would be a great warm-up, which I was afraid I would not have.

The gun went off and the women started.  None of the women were identified pre-race as being particularly stronger than the others on the swim so I had no idea who was ahead.  However, the women were much more bunched up in a peloton fashion than the men.  Later I would find out that Meredith Kessler from the good old US of A got out of the water in 1st place.
They then announced that the age group waves would start in a few minutes and that we needed line up with the volunteer holding a sign up with our wave number and corresponding swim cap (bright yellow for me).  I was part of wave 14 so I had a while to go but I found the volunteer with the sign and I lined up with the rest of the yellow-heads.  Someone helped me zip my wetsuit and then I waited.  This point of the race was a bit tense because there were quite a few guys around me that looked like death warmed over.  They were anxious and wide-eyed like they were about to be brought up to the guillotine.  Luckily there were others that were joking around and kept the mood light.  The race organizers had really good and really loud music going on so I focused on that and visualized the swim.
The Swim
I think what made people the most nervous was that they probably didn’t know how they would do in 600 water.  Sixty degrees is not that cold for air temperature but when it comes to water temperature it might as well be freezing.  Luckily I had done two triathlons the previous year where the water was approximately the same temperature so I knew my body would adjust.  However, the first plunge is always painful.  This plunge was no exception. The water was VERY chilly. The face and hands felt most of the sting but by the short swim to the start I was already acclimated and excited to get started. This would be my first triathlon where I was wearing a watch and timing my swim. This made for a slightly awkward fit of the wrist at my wetsuit but nothing too terrible. However, when the gun went off I sent a few seconds fiddling with the watch to turn the timer on which set me back a few places in my age group.
The swim was beautiful. I was glad I wore tinted goggles since the sun was right in my eyes for a while. The water at Sand Hollow is very clear and I could see my fellow competitors around me clearly. This made for a bump free swim, however there were so many people that it made the swim a bit slow at times as I tried to get around people. My form during the first half of the swim sucked because I was so nervous, this being my first triathlon of the year and all. However, once the nerves calmed down I really focused on my form and I started to pick up speed. Some people were already breast-stroking and back-stroking by the halfway point and I felt bad for them since that is clearly signs of struggle. The course was extremely well marked and I had no trouble following it.
Where I ran into trouble was at the last turn. For some reason I got a really bad cramp on my left calf and from that point and to the finish (about 500 yards) I could not straighten out my left foot. It felt like I was swimming with breaks on. I was afraid that the cramp would be even worse when I stepped out of the water but once I did I felt tension but not pain. I was good to go and I ran up the ramp. After I hit the timing mat I checked my time and saw it said 41:58 and it disappointed me a bit since I was shooting for sub 40 minutes. Then I got cheered up right away when I saw that they had wetsuit strippers. The wetsuit came off superfast and I was on my way to my bike. I felt good and was able to transition fairly quickly. Note to self: don't spray sunscreen on my face. This sent me into a coughing fit that lasted the whole queue out of T1. Once on the bike I was feeling good and ready for what I thought would be the biggest challenge I would face that day. Boy was I wrong.
The Bike
The course starts pretty flat but then it quickly goes into a pretty steep hill as it winds its way behind Sand Hollow.  This is where I could start feeling the heat of the day.  It was hot but it wasn’t terrible yet.  There were tons of people on the course and it was pretty challenging to not run into anybody.  It amazed me how many people I was with or passing that had $10K or more bikes.  I figure if you’re going to be spending that much money on a bike then you shouldn’t be getting beat by the dude riding a $1K aluminum road bike.  People can do what they want with their money but I don’t see the sense in spending money like that if you are not really all that competitive within your age group.  I think I would like to have a TT bike but I am far from having a shot at Kona so I will be sticking to the sub $5K budget even if I do go for an upgrade.
The hills and descents were pretty massive.  About 10 miles into it I was keeping a pretty good pace (about 20MPH).  It was at this point that I saw Jolynne and the kids volunteering on the course and I waved to them.  I caught them by surprise and they were scrambling to get a picture.  After that the course started a long hill as it made its way out of Hurricane. I saw Marsha somewhere around mile 30 and she says I was talking to myself which could very well be the case.  The half-iron distance makes people do nutty things. 
One of the scariest situations I had was when we were descending on a narrow neighborhood road.  The road really only had enough space for at most 2 people side-by-side and people were lined up one right after the other, drafting be damned apparently.  Since it was a pretty steep downhill we were keeping speeds over 30MPH.  The guy in front of me started getting all wobbly and looked like he was going to go down.  If he went down I was screwed since I didn’t have enough room to get around him and we were going so fast and were so close that I would have hit him.  Luckily the guy regained control and tragedy was averted.
The scariest situation on the bike happened at approximately mile 50 as I was coming down US Route 18 and going about 35 MPH.  Signs started warning us to slow down.  I slowed down but apparently not enough because I took a sharp right turn fast enough that I almost lose control.  The bike was not taking the full turn as I wanted it to and I started to freak out a bit.  Luckily I kept it under control, leaned into the turn and came out of it.  My heart was racing and I was cursing myself for not slowing down more.  I think Heavenly Father was looking out for me on that one.
The most challenging part of the bike was the last two miles of the Snow Canyon climb.  I expected this but it didn’t make it any less painful.  This came at mile 42 of the course, the sun was beating down and it was very hot.  At one point I went as slow as 4MPH!
Coming in on Diagonal Street was not as nice as it should have been since the road is very rough and my butt was screaming the whole time.  I made it into T2 in 3 hours, which was better than what I expected.  I did a lightning fast change in transition but then had to stop to pee!  I should have been dehydrated but I guess I did a pretty good job at keeping liquids in because I had to pee really bad.  That took about 30 seconds and I was off on the run course.  Marsha was at the exit of T2 and gave me a cheer.  At that point I could only half smile.
The Run
The run course makes its way up from downtown St. George to Diagonal Street and it was oh so painful.  My legs felt like lead lumps.  The climb up to Diagonal was a time to regroup and calm myself down.  I eased my effort a bit and stretched out my legs and my shoulders.  That definitely helped and by the time I was up at diagonal I was able to step up my pace a bit.  It was at that point that I saw Jolynne and the kids and they gave me a cheer.  That definitely improved my spirits and allowed me to continue the climb.
This course climbs for 6.5 miles and comes down for the rest.  The climb up to Red Hills Parkway was OK but the grade at Red Hills was just brutal.  I was doing 10 minute miles up that thing and I felt lucky to be doing that.  By the time I got to Pioneer Park I was officially dead.  I found it hard to keep running and I walked many times.  Once I got to the very top of the elevation chart I thought I would be able to take full advantage of the downhill to the turnaround but my body was really struggling.  I was in that place where my muscles couldn’t take the abuse anymore.  I think aerobically I was OK but my body was just really hurting and exhausted.  Every step after that was a challenge.  I remember thinking of the Pro’s that I saw finishing as I was going up Diagonal and thinking to myself “how the heck could these guys be finishing so strong after surviving this run course?!”  It was just brutal.
I started making liberal use of the wet sponges they were giving out on the course and sticking them on my singlet.  That helped immensely.  I got a second wind once I started making my way down Red Hills Parkway and got excited to finish.  Then came the insult to add to my many injuries.
I thought that before we came into Diagonal we would have a quick in and out into one of the streets on US 18 right before Diagonal.  Well, that was right but that quick in and out wasn’t so quick and it was uphill!  This got everyone around me (me included) in a pissy mood.  The course felt long and it just seemed cruel to add another hill to the course, especially at mile 11.5.  I ended up walking part of the hill and then I got to that point where I told myself that I just needed to finish this thing.  So I ran pretty much all of the way after that.  At the bottom of the out and back I saw Ian and he had a big grin on his face.  The guy is the type of racer that I admire.  Nothing brings him down.
When I got to the end of Diagonal I could see the finish line at the bottom of the hill.  This gave me a huge adrenaline rush.  It also helped that the crowds were huge!  I got pumped and started running faster.  I got to the finishing chute and people were cheering me on and I was cheering right back.  And then I made it.  My official finish time was 6:01:15.  I missed my goal of under six by a bit over a minute but quite frankly I felt good to have finished at all.  The course was brutal but finishing felt sweet.  They gave me probably the best finisher’s medal that I own and a really cool finisher’s hat.
I kept looking around for my family but I couldn’t find them.  I also couldn’t find the food.  I kept asking and they kept telling me to keep walking.  Come to find out the food was all the way back at the expo.  It was an endurance event just to get to the food.
The post-race food was great.  I got my food and I just plopped down on the grass and ate.  Jolynne and the kids found me and they said that they saw me right at the finishing chute but that I didn’t see them.  I have no idea how I missed them since I was looking for them.  It was awesome to see them and decompress with them.  They had an enjoyable experience volunteering for the race but they did have a lot of standing around doing nothing.  We then did our post-race ritual and I got them some ice cream goodies before we left the competitor’s area.
Wow, what an experience!  The race was so well put together and the crowds were incredible.  I think every once in a while it’s OK to pay a ridiculous amount to have this type of experience.  The one thing this taught me is that the full Ironman I’m doing in August is going to be nothing short of brutal.  But of course, if it wasn’t hard it wouldn’t be Ironman!
My Official Splits
Swim: 41:58
T1: 4:56
Bike: 3:03:42
T2: 3:50
Run: 2:06:49
Final: 6:01:15
AG Rank: 145
Overall Rank: 860
Men’s Winner: Brent McMahon from Canada in 3:51:10
Women’s Winner:  Meredith Kessler from USA in 4:17:11



No comments :

Post a Comment